GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I will not be able to finish my deck for months but would like to get a final inspection signed off.

hyler3 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Suggestions for temporary deck railing that will meet code would be much appreciated. We are in Washington State.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jacque,
    By the time you go to the trouble of building a temporary code-compliant deck railing, you will have gone to the same amount of trouble as you would have to build it permanently. Just do the job once.

2. fasteddie50 | | #2

Hi there, I suspected in WA. st. for many moons....5 yr. Island Co, 1 yr. Port Townsend and 3 years in Marysville. I would have approved the home with a barrier in front of the door that provided access to the deck. As long as there was no access to the deck....no problem. That said, I would have required you (before I signed off on the dwelling) to obtain a permit for the deck guardrail to be installed. Most jurisdictions will work with you. It's totally a bldg. suspectors prerogative though...At the same time, if it's a sliding door or a door that opens to a deck and you put a barrier in front of the entrance to that deck....Then it's not really a door to the deck ....It's not what you say...but how you say it :) So pose the question in a friendly fashion. IF you can't get the suspector to go along with you... You could ask him to please approach the B.O. and see if there is a way you can both win :) Inspectors can find ways to help you achieve what you need. Last spec house I built in 1996, I had some Thomas Jefferson stairs in a house in Oregon. The inspector walked in and said "nice bookcase". I knew at that time how I wanted to inspect.... We can look for ways to help or not imho. Good luck!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |